Cesar Chavez Park


It looked dreary when I left home, but by the time I got to the park, it had lightened up. The sun would come out briefly later. I liked the mass of shrubs and a pine tree near the water's edge by the walkway. This is the first larger painting that I have tried out doors. It is a half sheet, about 15x22" paper size. I used a 2" in. brush for the sky and water and the under-painting. for the foreground. After I got home, I made the distant water line more distinct, fading it to the foreground. I experimented with perinone orange a little. You probably can't find it on the painting as I was not too bold with it. I was inspired by a Pam Glover painting that I saw at the Epperson Gallery
Larry Hatfield

3 comments:

  1. The larger painting makes for more difficult scanning. I had to scan this in six sections and photomerge it in Photoshop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of my favorite paintings that you've done. I think even if maybe inadvertent, your color shows an adventuresome quality. And the size suits you. I gives possibilities to that free large space quality of your paintings and the washes you are so good at— large skies and large foregrounds. You might try a camera.?

    ReplyDelete