Orange Trees at Muir's Orchard


Luckily for us, it was a mostly sunny day during our second week at John Muir's Historical Site. This is a very small oil painting for me (11 x 14"). I was in a hurry because I got there late, and did not have time to work larger. It is certainly true that painting will get you to really see things for the first time: I wanted to paint the orange trees I had seen before because they reminded me of the orange groves I had experienced in my childhood. Joan and I had both been interested in this humdrum house but she ended up painting a different view. I focused on making the grass feel grassy.

4 comments:

  1. This is a very good composition and the texture of the grass and the clouds is working very well. Is this the first in oil for awhile?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The grass looks like you put the paint on then scratched into it. Is that right? The red orange really adds a lot to this painting for me. The rhythm of the shadows leads you right into the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this. Hope I get to this spot sometime soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is the third oil since a year ago. I did rub yellow green into the canvas, then covered that layer with grass greeen, then scratched it. Thanks for the comments!

    ReplyDelete