John Muir's Plant Sprayer

The park ranger told me that John sprayed some nasty chemicals like copper sulfate on the fruit trees and grapes. They wanted to kill bugs. I guess I'll give him the benefit of the doubt on not knowing how un-environmentally friendly those chemicals are. I didn't know what to do for the background, I didn't want to paint stuff back there. I just made the fence dark, then darker, and the violet distance is just there. Then the grass became a problem. Maybe I should have filled up the paper more with the wagon. I added the shadows late, there were some cast shadows from the tree behind me. I incorporated that with the shadow under the wagon to help the composition.
Larry Hatfield

1 comment:

  1. There sure are some ancient looking farm equipment out there!

    ReplyDelete