Mountain View Cemetery Oct. 10


I took a long time to decide what to paint today, but This is what I settled on. There was a natural rock on the hillside that I thought would be a good contrast to the carved stone monuments, but I couldn't get the view I had in mind. The big crypt or monument with the smaller ones in front reminded me of the king-of-the-hill and his peasants laid out in front. Next week, I'll go see who is in that crypt. I had to do some touch-up at home. I did the under-painting of the background hill with perm. orange and after looking at it, it seemed too flat. The top of the hill didn't recede. Then I added a reddish tone under the trees, and a few other things.

Larry Hatfield

2 comments:

  1. Rebeca says: This is one of my favorite recent pieces, because of the colors of course but also because you captured that kind of light pretty well. I had a lot of fun that day and want to thank you for nominating this place. It was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had fun too Larry - I like what you did with the hills and the monuments. Can't wait to go back.

    ReplyDelete